Making playdough at home is super simple and easy. It’s also a great option if you are looking to avoid artificial colors and other questionable ingredients, or have a child that needs a gluten free option. Playdough at home also means you can customize by creating your own color or adding essential oils for aromatherapy benefits.
● 2 cups plain all purpose flour
● 2 tablespoons coconut oil
● ½ cup salt
● 2 tablespoons cream of tarter
● Up to 1.5 cups boiling water
To make dye:
● You can also add glitter, lavender buds, etc. for extra sensory
• Mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a large mixing bowl
• Steam items for desired color and use boiled water to mix in dry ingredients
• Stir continuously until it becomes a sticky, combined dough
• Add the glycerine and essential oils (optional)
• Allow it to cool down then take it out of the bowl and knead it vigorously for a couple of minutes until all of the stickiness has gone. *This is the most important part of the process, so keep at it until it’s the perfect consistency! (If it remains a little sticky then add a touch more flour until just right)
**For a gluten free recipe, substitute the 2c. flour for 1c. rice flour and 1c. cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
Store in a plastic bag when not in use.