At MomCo, we are all about making real life connections and spending time with your mom friends. A great way to do that is to plan regular play dates. The MomCo app is a great resource to help plan and find play dates that are happening in your area.
Here are a few tips to ensure that you have an awesome play date:
1. Meet at a park or playground. That way no one has to worry about pre or post play date clean up. There is also less fighting over toys because all the kiddos are on neutral ground. If you are hosting, make sure to inform everyone where to find you. If you don’t know everyone that is coming, wear or bring something recognizable so that other moms can find you in a sea of moms.
2. Only bring shareable toys. Do not bring your child’s favorite toy or anything they will freak out about if another child wants to play with it. Bring things like bubbles and chalk that all the kids can play with. This encourages the kids to share and play together.
3. Bring good snacks and enough to share. The mom with the best snacks will be the crowd favorite forever, just sayin! Of course you should always ask about allergies before sharing your snacks.
4. Same age/stage children. Try to organize the play date with moms with kids all around the same age. This will make scheduling it around naps much easier to ensure you will have a good turnout. Also the moms will be able to relax more if they don’t have to worry about big kids knocking over their toddlers or that their big kid might hurt someone’s baby. You will be able to relate easier as well because you will be going through similar experiences and struggles.
5. Be honest if your kid has issues. Mine was a biter and I always gave my friends a heads up. I let them know that it was ok to step in if he might be getting to close for comfort. This will allow them to feel comfortable stepping in if they have to. This avoids drama and crying children, trust me! Or if your child has stranger anxiety, moms will know to let you handle them so your little one doesn’t get freaked out.
6. Stick with the same day and time each week. This will make it easier for everyone to remember each week and plan their schedules accordingly.
7. Use the MomCo app. This will make it easy to communicate with everyone, know who to expect and everyone can invite their friends to grow your playgroup. You can also share the play date on your Facebook page. MomCo makes it fun too with themed play date ideas each month.
8. Have fun and be silly! If you have babies or toddlers you are probably exhausted and mildly delirious. Guess what! So is everyone else. Talk to each other about it. Don’t be afraid to share your struggles, worries or frustrations. Play dates might technically be for the kids, but us moms probably need them way more than our babies. Laugh, cry, who cares!?! We are all in this together!
We hope some of these tips help make your play dates fun and run smoothly. If you have any other tips that you would recommend, please CLICK HERE to Join The Conversation in the MomCo forum. You can also check out some other tips that the MomCo moms recommended!